The Palmer Events Center (PEC) is situated in Butler Park, a beautiful, 54-acre city park located along the shores of Lady Bird Lake (formerly Town Lake). The 131,000 square foot multi-use events center opened in 2002 and has been the facility of choice for many public consumer shows, trade shows, conferences, banquets, receptions, concerts, dances and society balls. The building itself is just as pretty as its surroundings, featur- ing natural limestone and a gently sloping asymmetrical roof, wood trusses and decking, textured concrete, its own pond and some of the best views in the city. Additionally, ceiling fans 20 feet in diameter are located above the covered outdoor, wrap-around terrace.
The facility is comprised of two exhibit halls with spacious lobbies, five meeting rooms, plenty of pre-function space, stunning outdoor terraces and extensive support areas. The PEC parking garage, which contains 1,200 spaces, is conveniently located adjacent to the facility. Entrances to the garage can be found along the north and south borders of Butler Park, on Riverside Drive near South 1st Street and Barton Springs Road between Bouldin and Dawson Streets respectively.
The outdoor wrap-around terrace and parking garage rooftop are quickly becoming prime space for special outdoor events. Keep these gorgeous areas in mind for an unforgettable banquet or a wedding under the stars. Check out the photo gallery to get a closer look at all the space PEC has to offer.
Replacing the City Coliseum and Palmer Auditorium, and opening in June 2002, the Palmer Events Center is owned by the City of Austin and managed by the city’s Convention Center Department. The City Coliseum was originally an aircraft hangar, purchased by the city from the U.S. government in 1940. The building hosted a variety of events including local consumer shows, concerts and even the circus. Palmer Auditorium opened in 1959 and has since been renovated into the privately operated Long Center for the Performing Arts, which opened in 2008. Palmer Events Center is named in honor of Lester E. Palmer. Mr. Palmer was an Austin City Council Member in the 1950s and later became Mayor of Austin, serving from 1961-1967.